Friday, April 30, 2010

Southern Hunter’s Venison Stew…..or Not

This is a variation of a recipe from my closest friend who is a not so secret natural survivalist. Bebe and I have been cohorts in crime since our kids were still in the womb. Early in our friendship her little nuclear family only ate meat that her husband Bubba caught and killed with his bare hands. The original instructions called for venison sausage and since I am the Queen of Meat that comes in nice neat plastic wrappers use Italian sausage instead.

2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
½ cup diced onion
1 lb Italian sausage
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups diced potatoes cooked
1 cup frozen green beans
1 cup frozen corn
12 oz. tomato juice
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Sauté onion in heated olive oil, add sausage and lightly brown but not cooked through. Stir in chili powder and salt. Cut sausage into bite size pieces and place in the bottom of a casserole dish, with onions. Follow this by covering with diced potatoes, frozen green beans and frozen corn. Pour tomato juice over the top. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, top with cheese and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes.

As much as I love Bebe, I confess I’m a little squeamish about food that still has eyes and I did draw the line the day of the squirrel enchiladas for lunch. Bebe says it tastes like chicken, but I’m sure it tastes like cat. Meow.

No comments: