Monday, February 3, 2014

Snow-mageddon

In looking back, I can’t believe it’s been 3 months since I last posted.  What a lazy bitch I am. Perhaps this is a guilt post since Meg from Member’s Lounge dropped me a plea.  Well while the rest of you are enjoying day 57 off from work due to inclement snow, some of us are curled up on the couch with the flu.  Oh you might say I deserve it living in 75 degree weather every day, but I am currently stuck watching Teen Mom 2 since it seems like too much effort to get the remote.  Okay, maybe I like it.  A little bit.  

But I can tell you whose fault it is for the Polar Vortex, Sheldon and the Brit. Oh they were so hoity toitey about their perfect weather in southern California.  Because………the day after Thanksgiving they moved to FREAKING PENNSYLVANIA for some amazing job offer.  They poo poo’d the change in climate saying the most snow they ever got in York was a mere 20-inches a year. Except they got all of that in the first 20 minutes they were there.  By angering the weather channel gods, they have brought the wrath of an Armageddon winter to the I-95 corridor. 

Christmas via Skype 

But it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo far. Waaahhhh,  our first Christmas apart.  My baby girl’s distant from the bosom of Tunaville.  But at least she is near to our extended family, frankly closer than she was to us living in the land of milk and honey. Sniff, sniff, I’m sure she’s fine, learning to drive on black ice, and chip ice off of her windshield with the edge of her credit card. In her first snow call home she shrilly announced that snow wasn’t soft and delicate, it positively melted when it landed on her. The major reason I fled New Jersey 30 years ago was because I knew I’d melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

This week is a deep fried something, something to take away my pain.

Crunchy Honey Garlic Pork Chops
1 pound pork chops
2 eggs
4 tablespoons water
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon each salt, pepper, garlic powder
Oil for frying

Glaze:
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
½ cup soy sauce

Whisk eggs and water together in shallow dish, mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder in separate bowl.  Dip chops in flour first, then egg mixture and again in flour mixture.  Heat oil on medium high heat and cook chops for 6 minutes each side. Don’t turn or it will lose its coating.  Next melt butter in small sauce pan and add minced garlic for a minute or so. Add honey, soy sauce, brown sugar and fresh ginger.  Heat glaze ingredients for about 5 minutes.  Pour half of glaze into a 9” x 13” glass baking dish. Place pork chops on top and coat with remaining glaze. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Frankly, I couldn’t get over how moist the chops were, I was convinced they’d get all dried out and nasty from frying. 

The newlyweds were all hot to purchase a house before they even arrived on the scene.  Not the most practical approach to Sheldon’s overly practical parents.  Why not wait until you are actually on the scene since you have no idea where anything is relative to anything else. They were falling in love with pictures of adorable cottages, ignoring homes in the floodplain or missing roof tiles.  Fortunately, they finally opted to rent for a year and didn’t end up in a bad neighborhood of Amish Crypts and Bloods.  Ouch, I just felt a snot bubble pop in my brain, must rest my weary head. Good week Team Tuna.



20 comments:

Sultan said...

Pork chops!

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Hi! Your baby Sheldon leaves for the nether world, ripped from the bosom of her New Jersey (who knew???)born Mom, and I have to kick you in the butt to post? Gah! You have a wealth of material! PS. I am all over the pork chops!
XO

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you're back, albeit from the couch.

Andrea said...

Meg is a rockstar for getting you backm(I mean she is probably a rockstar for other reasons too)...
Pork chops and snot bubbles...I truly did miss you!

mamahasspoken said...

Yea, snow is great the first few times but after never ending snow, it's old. VERY, VERY, OLD.........

Janie Junebug said...

Damn them for bringing down the wrath of the weather gods on so much of the U.S. Even Florida has been chillier than usual, though it was about 80 today. I'm glad The Hurricane decided not to marry her Brit. He wanted to live in England. I never would have seen my little baby storm again.

Love,
Janie, who is pleased to see you posting and hopes you will keep it up

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

if it takes having the flu to bring you back then I am glad :) but seriously....feel better!

Hilary said...

Your poor daughter… this is not the winter she wants to experience…. So glad to see you back! Missed you!

MOV said...

Anger the weather channel gods-- bwahahahahaha!!
So glad you're back, Tuna. Even if it is Tuna on ice.

xxo
MOV

Kernut the Blond said...

Oh, one must never anger the weather channel gods. They must be appeased and offered a virgin (don't look at me - that ship sailed loooong ago).

Glad you're back! Hope you feel better!

Ms. G said...

"Amish Crypts and Bloods" Ha Ha! My sister lived in PA for several years, it was beautiful but she returned to the Eastern version of Endless Summer.
Did you give me the flu? Seriously, started running a fever this afternoon ; )
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Rubye Jack said...

Just discovered your blog, but already forgot where I came from, where I saw your blog name in the first place. I hope you feel better soon. I also got a laugh out of "Amish Crypts and Bloods". So be it.

I Wonder Wye said...

Shit, ICE AGE is getting to me, too -- I whiled away a snow day making an African lamb stew (spicy and delicious), a chicken-cheese-tomato stew, coleslaw, and an apple pie to stuff in Excy's whiny gob for making the 1000th request for a pie……now all I can do is grow fat and wait for things to thaw…...

DB Stewart said...

This winter = *!(#*@ up. And that skype is a good thing when we can't have things the way we want them.)

Liz Mays said...

Hey you are CRANKY! lol I hope you feel better soon or someone moves near you or you enjoy that peanut butter with celery in your jammies. Stat. And I'm all for shitty tv. It's the only kind worth watching.

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Awwww Mrs T. I do hope you feel better soon .... it's rough when you feel like that. Shame they decided to rent, I would have liked to see pictures of the houses!

julie gardner said...

Three months away and you're still as kick-ass as ever.

That's a gift right there.

Me? I take a month off and worry I'll suck forever after.

Sheesh.

The Defiant Marshmallow said...

Wow! They are the ones to blame, huh? Well, living just down the road from your dearest daughter and her hubby, I can now fix my ire on someone specific. Muwahahaha!

Stephanie said...

First YEAH you are back! Second, oh so far apart for Christmas is hard so a big boo to that. And the almighty third. I too have had enough with the damn snow. Can we please start a count down til summer?

Carole said...

Love the pork chops. Good to see you back posting. Cheers