Monday, July 4, 2011

All Hail Starbucks

Stupid Midterm is over but spent the ENTIRE weekend studying for the next senseless test that had to be complete today. I’m finding my brain only has so much capacity, earlier chapters leak out to make room for new sh*t. We were allowed to take a tiny index card with info to the in person test center along with a photo ID for the midterm. Certainly no one was looking to card me. I was pretty skived out by the sweaty scholars and felt the need for a full body condom to ward off their cooties. Grrrrr…..3 more online tests and the final to go, make it stop.


But I have a secret weapon to keep me grinding away at the graphing calculator, Mr. Coffee. When I quit smoking about 20 years ago, I replaced it with eleventy million cups a day to keep that stimulate high necessary to keep this high maintenance b*tch in top performance mode. I’ve literally made three admin peeps quit over the tongue lashings they received for not keeping the office stocked with fragrant beans. But sadly, 2 years ago, I had to cut waaayyyyyy back from a pot a day to one lonely cup due to my blood pressure. But now in my hour of need I’m back at it with a vengeance. In addition to chugging away at the office, I’ve been taking a little stroll over to afternoon iced java at my neighborhood Starbucks, every…..day.

I’m spending so much time there that they start my ice vanilla coffee with 2% while I’m standing in line. I am not tricked by tall, grande and venti. Bring on the extra large…….trenta, pure 32 ounces of cold pleasure. And let me mainline a little lemon bars while I’m at it. I mean I’m already way over my calorie intake, let’s just shoot the wad. And while we’re all overspending our fat content, this week is my Mom’s Coffee Cake to round it out.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
¼ pound butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ point sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping
¼ cup sugar
½ cup nuts (like walnuts)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat well. Add alternating the dry ingredients and sour cream. Mix well. Add vanilla. Sprinkle ½ topping in well greased 10” tube pan. Pour in half batter, sprinkle remaining topping, then remaining batter .Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

I’m finding the need to drink iced coffee even on my days off from the slave market and must venture into new Starbuck’s turf for my little fix. Saturday, I was the lone junkie/customer when little Travis queried my heroin/drink request. “And your name?” he probed. Ummmm….my name, isn’t this like an AA meeting? I mean I’m the only one at the counter. “Yes, your name” he insisted. Maintaining my incognito flair….Umm….Travis, my name is Travis. “Really” he squealed, “just like mine”. Whatever, just give me my crack and a lemon bar to go and nobody gets hurt.

43 comments:

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

Hi! I am your newest follower! I would love it if you stopped by check it out and become my newest follower! Have a great 4th!

Kirsten ;)
www.mushkiloves.blogspot.com

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Your mom's coffee cake is just the sort of cake to go perfectly with a nice cuppa tea (that's my criteria for everything!).

DB Stewart said...

People freak out when I tell them this: I don't drink coffee. Ice cream is like crack to me though.

Red Nomad OZ said...

Oh you poor thing ... and I can't even offer you an Aussie Scenic Public Loo to take the pain away. But soon, my friend. VERY soon ...

I'm So Fancy said...

Hilarious! I usually just say "Fred" or "Buster" but now I'm going for the name tag. Awesome.

Leslie said...

I've been giving it up. I miss it. Esp. the skinny cinnamon dolce latte at Starbucks.

Kimberly said...

I had to give up coffee due to anxiety issues...sniff...I miss that stuff.

Empty Nester said...

You words are always a total delight to the soul as it provides such much needed and appreciated laughter!

You're almost there! You and Mr. Coffee with a little Starbucks thrown in for good measure will make it through just fine!

mamahasspoken said...

Fun thing about me: I love coffee but HATE Starbucks coffee.
Weird I know but it's too bitter for my taste:o/

CanadianMama said...

I don't drink coffee much but I used to go to Starbucks for a treat now and then... Until I discovered how GREAT McDonalds coffee is. The iced or the frappe so good and WAY cheaper!!!

CanadianMama said...

Ps that cake does not sound very bathing suit friendly :(

Mark said...

Ah geez, I just left a comment and it wouldn't take. And then I lost the whole thing. I blame your blog. Of course I can't blame myself. That wouldn't be right.
Anyway, I made some joke about "eleventy million" but now it's no longer funny.
Have a great day! m.

Alexandra said...

Oh my gosh,sour cream coffee cake??

Do you hear me screaming over here??

MY MOST FAVORITE coffee cake , oh, just----IN THE FREAKIN' WORLD.

Thank you, mama.

I'll be over in 20.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Luckily for me I lived 35 minute drive to nearest Starbucks otherwise I would be a staple there.

The coffee cake sounds great and I am pretty sure I have everything I need to make it in our trailer (camping right now).

Stephanie said...

OH I do not envy your study sessions! Thank the gods for coffee and remember, if all else fails, you can try Red Bull:)

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

Hi! It just let me re-follow twice...I hope it works! Please let me know! Have a great night!

Sultan said...

I lust after coffee cake although sadly I am not allowed to eat it.

Ms. G said...

I can't have much caffeine and am not a coffee drinker. That may be why I'm so slow.

'Travis', hee hee 'just like mine', Snort ; )

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

I drink iced coffee first thing in the morning on these hot summer days. MUST KEEP ENTIRE PITCHER IN FRIDGE. That's how much I need it!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Mmm, coffee! I make my own Starbucks coffee here at home. Love it.

Annie (Lady M) x said...

That cake sounds bloody nice and I don't normally eat cake. Can you send me a slice, because I am not really a baker!

What are you studying for by the way? You have probably said, but I have got a memory like a seive ;-)

SZM said...

oooh, that sounds good! I like anything with sour cream.

Joann Mannix said...

Travis! That cracked me the freak up!

Coffee is my toast colored lover. It's a relatively new addiction for me. I couldn't get over some jet lag a few years back when I was a few time zones away from my normal one. My hubs suggested I drink a cup of coffee and I was all, "Why hasn't anyone told me before what pure delicious crackage this stuff is?"

I wake up every morning with a smile because I know coffee is waiting for me.

And yes, I had the blood pressure issue, too. But now I take the pills and coffee is still my lover.

I Wonder Wye said...

Let us know how the mid-terms went and if the affair has been worth it! I am also having a Starbucks obession - cannot make it to town without stopping at least once for an 'Arnold Palmer' (sweetened ice-tea lemonade, black tea)...love tea. Coffee not so much, though it smells great...

Adrienne said...

That sounds heavenly! I cannot live without my coffee.

mom in rome said...

coffee and cinnamon...it must be delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Newest follower from the Social Parade. The recipe sounds delightful! =) I'd love a follow back when you have the time.

Dawn
http://dawn-wemaynothaveitalltogether.blogspot.com/

Shabby Chic Mom said...

hahahaha I don't drink coffee so put some coca cola in there and we're on!

Unknown said...

coffee, oh yes indeed!!! I have told my husband many a time they should just hook me up to a coffee i.v. bag so I LOVED that photo!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi, I am a new fan from the hop. I totally know what you mean about needing the bean. My heart beats too fast so I am not supposed to have any but, that makes me crave it even more. Cute pic too!

http://www.ourbananamoments.com
http://www.facebook.com/ourbananamoments

Marsha

Unknown said...

i really need some starbucks. and some lemon bars. and some coffee cake. help.

twelvedaysold said...

I've been too afraid to have a coffee maker in my house because everyone is always trying to cut back on coffee. I limit it to going out and getting it from my favorite drive through place.

Also, Travis? Hilarious.

About a Mom said...

Hi! Love Starbucks! I'm a new follower from Social Parade Friday Hop! Please check out my new blog http://aboutamom.com :)

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Yum! I heart Starbucks!

Anonymous said...

I made my way here via a comment you left where you suggested that a mom tell her teens to do their own stinky laundry. Then I read your blog's header, followed by your profile, and quickly clickety-clicked to stalk, um, follow you, because basically, you had me at hello.

As far as the coffee goes, I'm a huge fan...of decaf. I love the taste, but to say that I don't react well to caffeine would be a bit of an understatement. While normal people get an energetic kick out of the stuff, I have more of an "I think I need to go to the emergency room" feeling, so I stick with sissy coffee.

Julie said...

Last year, I gave up coffee for eight months. Kind of just to see if I could.

I can be a stupid bitch sometimes.

I'm back now, though.

Thank God. And columbia.

(and I love coffee cake, lemon bars, all that. all.)

Wicked Chef # 1 - Linds said...

I'm glad its not just me but we both need to get cracking! lol I always love seeing what you have to say!

betty-NZ said...

Yummy recipe! I have cut down on coffee, too, but I just can't (or won't) give it up.

Amy said...

I laughed out loud reading this...I quit smoking 7 years ago and my caffeine intake tripled ~x2!

Sandra said...

I come here and I read you, but I swear, this statistics course is making me relive mine. I feel your pain, and unfortunately, I can't even help you because I quickly dumped all the information from my brain once the torture session was over.

MommaKiss said...

I don't like to even move before coffee. and could put a hurtin' on a cake like that. Jaysus. Yum.

Pearl said...

Starbucks is the reason I get up in the morning. I will also get up if there are new clothes/shoes involved.

:-)

Pearl

Anonymous said...

Heh heh heh, have you tried the coffee at the current place-o-bizness? Retch. Horrid. That's why I bring my little Bodum travel press with me every morning, because I must start the day with a tasty drink. You'd think for all the money they spend on elephantine flat panel tvs they could provide coffee that doesn't taste like burnt axle grease.

Signed, The InDesign Donkey