Monday, December 27, 2010

Hey Soul Sistah


How can someone you hate so much at 8 be someone you can’t stand to be without at 48? Once upon a time, long, long ago, my parents had the perfect nuclear family. A fine strapping boy followed in 2.3 years by a little girl, that would be moi (me for those of us that failed French). But the passing away of my aunt left her gaggle of kids as motherless children aged 2 to 9. Someone would take boys, someone would take babies but no one would take them all. My mom, the same woman who couldn’t stand the thought of anyone to be alone at any holiday including Arbor Day threw open the doors.

This created an instant Sistah mix. She is 49 weeks the elder. At the time, seeming so unfair, she got to do everything first, pierced ears, driving, dating. Nowadays it puts her 49 weeks closer to turning 50 so there. But a funny thing about her is once she hit 5 foot tall she never got any taller.




All the boys adored a tiny petite girlie, ignoring the nearly 6 foot tall awkward girl with condor like wing span she’d inherited from her dear old daddy Buzz. No, he is not standing on a box in this picture.



The girl who had to give up ballet lessons because the leading male dancer only came up boob high. My Sistah was one of the popular girls, pretending not to see me in the school halls dressed in her preppy Izod shirts while my shirts and pants were mandatorily too short on my limbs. Sadly her short stature had its drawbacks. In efforts to save dough my parents claimed her for the under age 13 price at amusement parks and movies well into high school.

But we were thick as thieves, one time Albert Garlotti starting teasing her and pushed her down, I ran up and kicked his a**. It was okay if I did It, but I was family. She was a scrappy fighter, but a scratcher. I still carry a scar on my collarbone, funny thing is she had a matching one my mom gave her to make us even. We covered for each other, mom would set individual alarm clocks for our curfews, we’d turn off one another’s ringers. We did however grow up in an Orthodox Jewish community and all our schoolmates had to be home by sundown so we were left to wandering around the Avenue after dark with nothing but trouble on our minds. Going to parties that newspaper reading frat boys invited us to, drinking too much and holding each other’s hair from the porcelain throne.

My Sistah has assumed the Christmas Eve event since my mom died last year. I’m still responsible for prime rib on the big day but she makes the traditional soup.

Fiesta Soup
1 large bunch cilantro
4 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded
15 ounces hominy, drained
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin
1 ½ t teaspoon oregano
1 pound sausage
1 ½ pounds boneless and chunked chicken breasts, seasoned and floured
1 ½ large onion
1 large yellow pepper
6 cups chicken broth
1 avocado cut into cubes

Chop cilantro, garlic and jalapeno in food processor. Add ½ cup olive oil, cumin and oregano. Transfer half of the pesto to a small bowl and reserve the remainder for garnish. Add ¾ cup of hominy and set aside. Brown sausage, remove and brown chicken in sausage drippings. Heat remaining olive oil and add peppers and onions stirring until wilted. Add hominy mixture, remaining hominy and chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken, sausage and 3 tablespoons plain pesto. Just before serving add avocado. Serve with remaining pesto and bread.

Once we moved out on our own and started having our own little hell raisers we stopped worrying about who ate the last ice cream sandwich or left the car without gas. Now we laugh about the ridiculous things we did and lived to tell the tale. Like the time Marky Mark took the copper gutters off the church when metal prices went sky high and got busted or Dad installed the stove hood so low only you didn’t have to duck under it shorty. Don’t worry Sistah, I got your back, just as I know you have mine. Happy New Year Ruth!

37 comments:

The Zadge said...

I was a foot taller than my one-year younger sista - and I kicked some a** too on her behalf!! Tall sistas rule!

Mrs4444 said...

What a sweet post. I'm glad you and your sistah have each other :)

DB Stewart said...

I think siblings are like secrets. It just feels good having a really good one sometimes and only one person to share it with who'd understand.

Anonymous said...

Cheers to Ms. Ruth!!

Doreen McGettigan said...

How sweet. I am so happy my own 3 daughter's are close like this. I am a new visitor and follower from Friday Follow...lately I have no idea what to make for dinner..
http://doreenmcgettigan.com

FreeFlying said...

Aw! That is so sweet! I'm an only child so it makes me really jealous, but it also makes me smile. Speaking of, your comment about him visiting me cracked me up!

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Yeah, sisters rule! I like how you have the matching battle scars!

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet Dawn about you and your sister. The black sheep.

Sandra said...

OMG I love this! And your mother with that heart! What a terrific childhood you would have had and you have a sistah!

Missy said...

This is so sweet! I am an only child. I missed out on all of this fun...

Kelly L said...

I have two sisters - this post was a tearjerker.. Thanks for reminding me...

Love to you and Happy New Year!
Kelly
I've Become My Mother

Alida Sharp said...

What a wonderful story... I always wished for a sister. I got stuck with four brothers.

Just found your blog over at Java's and am your newest follower.

joy & blessings,
Alida

Anonymous said...

I had gooseflesh inside my cast reading this. It made me teary even. Aren't sisters the very best? They are. You have a very large heart, Mrs. Tuna. You really do. Do you have a best posts section? I'd put this one right on top. Do it. Big hug.

p.s. happy new year to Ruth and you. :) Love the photographs!

Carol E Wyer said...

What a great post...I would have loved to have had a brother or sister or even dog for that matter. it's so nice when people get on in later life...some of my friends can't stand their siblings and envy me having none.
I came by to say hello and to thank you for visiting my last post. I really enjoy blogging and sharing my world but it is made so much more pleasurable by sharing my thoughts and experiences with super people such as yourself. When I first started this I had no idea that I would meet such wonderful people who I feel have become Blogworld 'friends'. So thank you for all your visits and your kind comments, all of which have served to encourage me further.
I am looking forward to coming back time and time again here... (am I a blogoholic?)
I'll take this opportunity to say thank you once again and to wish you the happiest of new years. May 2011 be a fabulous year for you.
My sincerest wishes.
Carol - got a little lump in my throat now:)

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I love how Sistahs don't have to be born from the same Mom.

Thanks for all the times you have stopped by and commented on my blog!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

What a great story.
Visiting from the blog hop. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you the best for 2011.
Nancy
http://discoverdirectselling.blogspot.com/

jamfiescreations1 said...

Hello, following from Follow Back Friday 40 and Over. Hope you can visit my blog.

www.jamfiescreations1.blogspot.com

Blessings, Mary O

Ca88andra said...

Its stories like these that make me want to have siblings!

Manzanita said...

Popp'n over from the blog hop. Your new follower
Wishing you an eventful New Year with peace and love
Manzanita
Wanna buy a duck

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

I am absolutely crazy about your blog! Love your writing style and if there is food involved I am alllll over it!!!!

I am thrilled to be your newest follower! thanks so much for hopping on by and visiting us at Cat Chat today! Hope to see you often!

Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com

Kernut the Blond said...

How wonderful of your mother to take in all of your cousins!

I love how you worked the recipe into the story. I just got my father a cookbook modeled the same way (except it was by a gangster, who killed for the mob, but other than that it is just like your story with recipe.)

HAppy New Year!

Charlotte said...

cute post, ill hav to try that recipe!

Hilary said...

What a wonderful story.... and, I am so making your soup... YUM!

jamfiescreations1 said...

Thanks for the follow back. Hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year. Mary O

Stacy Uncorked said...

I loved this! Sisters totally rule, don't they? :) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and following me so I could 'meet' you and follow back! ;) Have a Happy New Year! :)

Aloha: Happy New Year Resolutions

Unknown said...

I AM ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING OUT LOUD (ROTFL-LOL) AT YOUR BLOG POSTS! Your humorous way of looking at life is awesome!
I stopped by from the Friday Blog hop at over 40 (hurts to say that really), but I will be staying for a while to read more posts. I have become an avid follower! Thanks for the laughs, excellent way to end the year...
Best wishes,
Amber

Barbara said...

Such a great post, it did make me smile! My half-sister is ten years older than me and seven inches shorter, I so know where you're coming from. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and have a great 2011.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted a sister! Great blog...cannot wait to try out this recipe! Thanks for sharing on the Saturday Sampling!

Mary said...

Visiting from Mrs. 4444's. What great memories you have!
Happy New Year!

Doreen McGettigan said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Anonymous said...

That really was a sweet post. I had to endure my school days wearing short pants and when tight rolling was the style in jr. high I was completely screwed. My daughter has been taller than her 21 month older brother for ages. I make sure she doesn't have short pants!!

Emily said...

What a wonderful history you have, Happy New Year to the both of you!

. said...

Great post! Thanks for signing up to follow my new blog, I will totally enjoy reading yours and your recipe ideas.
Happy New Year!
http://www.don't-worry-bout-a-thing.blogspot.com

Marla said...

I love this post! I could never imagine my life without my sisters.

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

My only sister was 9 years older, and by the time I was in 6th grade I was her height and size. She just hated my borrowing her skirts--without asking, of course. Loved this post! Found you through your comment on Never Growing Old (Hey, I envy YOU your following. How do you get all these comments?)

Jessica said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm following you now :)
It's amazing that you and your sister are so close. My sister and I are SO different, we pretty much ignored each other (or fought) until about a year ago. You are lucky!

Meara at Not Twenty-Seven Yet
(I love getting new followers, too!)

Unknown said...

Lovely post. You are lucky to have eachother!

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com